Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The "Lipstick Effect" and Women's Stereotypes

I was reading this article by Sadie Whitelocks titled "Lipstick Effect", which depicts the stereotype that the media is giving women that they are more concerned about their looks and their social values. Julie Nelson, a leading economist says that this theory is completely sexist and I agree 100 percent. This news article is talking more about the economies behind "looking pretty" including wearing lipstick, but this hits into a deeper meaning. In college especially, "being pretty" seems to be the only thing that matters when concerning certain things. Especially when 48 percent of TCU is involved with a Greek Organization.

I am a sophomore and being on the other side of recruitment, I found that a lot of my pledge class was more concerned if the girl was "pretty" rather than if she was smart, involved, or a leader. I believe a lot of college life and high school life as well is focused on looks rather than being the president of an organization or in the math club. Currently, I feel like I'm trapped by women thinking the only way they will be noticed is by the make-up and clothes that they wear. When really what matters is what you are doing beyond the make-up and clothes, as in giving back to the community, or mentoring a group of peers.

Also make-up IS endlessly expensive! I constantly find my mascara drying out and my eyeliner running out. Makeup is a HUGE expense which doesn't allow for any flexibility. The top name brands such as M.A.C. and Bobbi Brown are extremely expensive and can clean out your wallet. I was never a girl who wore a lot of make-up so it is hard for me to spend that much money on make-up. Again, this goes back to my generation being dependent on makeup.

The world needs to stop with the endless stereotypes directed towards women and start looking at the women who are leaders such as Michelle Obama and Hilary Clinton.

Courtesy of: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2198116
Article Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2198116/Lipstick-Effect-claims-women-spend-cosmetics-hard-times-sexist-untrue-says-economist.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

No comments:

Post a Comment