Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fashion Advertising for the Gay Population

During class on Monday, Dr. Jacqueline Lambiase spoke to the class about how companies are starting to advertise to the gay and lesbian population of the world. As I am interested in fashion, I looked into how the Fashion companies of the world view gays throughout the world. I came across an article on the GLAAD website saying that Nordstrom is now supporting marriage equality. Another aspect that the gay population is constantly fighting about.

When Dr. Lambiase was speaking it was interesting to understand the different levels of gay media. From positive, equal, negative, and the accepted gay media. I love that GLAAD is standing up for Gay and Lesbian rights and getting the name out there to stand up and make a movement.











Seeing all of the different ads really captivated my attention and I wanted to show some of the media-related gay campaigns through fashion.

To the left, Valentino captures two male models rather close together showing off their abs. I think it is an interesting technique to capture more than just one publics attention.

Gucci does the same above just with female models. It even shows one of the models upper butt crack. It just appeals to  both heterosexuals as well as homosexuals.


Below, an Abercrombie & Fitch model is shirtless gazing into the open air while grazing his upper thigh with his hand in a sexual way. This also appeals to both gays and women.


Above all, I personally support the GLAAD and what they are trying to put out into the media with supporting gays. I also support them as well for many reasons. When I was living in Tucson, Arizona, a lot of the male swimmers that I swam with came out to everyone my junior year in high school. What I loved about my school was that no one bullied them or made them feel unappreciated because no one looked at them differently. They were still said person. However, when I moved to Texas, everything changed. I didn't know one single gay person when I graduated and if I did, they didn't confess to it because of the conservitivism in my high school as well as the people I went to high school with. It was also a small town so they would have been ridiculed, which is horrifying that things like that happen. Even today at TCU, I hear people use the term "faggot" way too loosely. It offends me because some of my best friends are gay, but people don't think they are hurting anyones feelings. I believe that the TCU community needs to stand up and make a difference just like some of the top companies in the world are doing. Nordstrom being one of them. Standing up with Nordstrom is Google, Microsoft, Amazon, T-Mobile, Nike, and Starbucks. These companies are supporting Gay Marriage, just like I would do. Homosexuals are the same people as heterosexual, just attracted to the same sex. I believe people throughout the world need to start realizing that.

Read more about the Nordstrom Marriage Equality: http://www.glaad.org/blog/nordstrom-comes-out-support-marriage-equality

No comments:

Post a Comment